NWSEO is the labor organization and professional association that represents 4,000 employees of the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration in the U.S. Department of Commerce, including:
- The forecasters, technicians and support personnel of the National Weather Service, the nation’s official source for weather forecasts and warnings;
- The attorneys in NOAA’s Office of General Counsel, who are responsible for enforcing laws that protect the nation’s environment and natural resources;
- The civilian crews of the “Hurricane Hunter” aircraft based in Tampa, Florida;
- The technicians who track and command the nation’s weather satellites from Wallops Island, Virginia; and
- The hurricane researchers and other scientists and support personnel at the Atlantic Oceanographic and Meteorological Laboratory in Key Biscayne, Florida.